Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hits At The Core

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 4, 2003 19:28:27 UTC

Kyle, what you said hits at the core of beliefs in general. Which raises the question, does belief play even a more fundamental role such as how the 'observer' has been shown to play a fundamental role in quantum mechanical systems. I've often pondered the concept that pragmatism is not only a justification theory, but a truth theory as well. That is, pragmatism doesn't just tell us support our reason for believing or acting a certain way, but in addition pragmatism as an ontology defines truth and underlies the reason why anything exists at all.

If we treat a pragmatic truth as that which fulfills a justified need (e.g., the belief that there is gold at Fort Knox is a pragmatic truth that fulfills a justified need for economic security), then a theory of truth based on pragmatism is a theory that 'needs' exist. If there are no 'needs' - there is no truth. In order to have a 'need' requires by definition that there are those who 'need'. In essence, I wonder (out loud) if a pragmatic theory of truth requires not only observers but participants.

I've felt for sometime that the 'cause' of the universe is greatly related to a valid theory of truth(s) that requires satisfaction (e.g., in a Tarskian sense). If so, then terms such as pragmatism, correspondence, and coherence (all theories of truth) might play a fundamental role. Just wondering...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins