Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Simplistic Pipeline

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 3, 2003 12:02:02 UTC

***So, I have designed an analytical pipeline which will transform absolutely any random collection of data into a mental image 100% consistent with the mental image of reality I was trained to accept as a Ph.D. in theoretical physics. Since my pipeline makes utterly no constraint at all on the input end, it means that it makes no difference what is at that end (even your supernatural effects Harv), the deductions I make are absolutely true. Put it this way, the output of my pipeline is a paradigm which constrains the input in no way and yet it provides us with great powers of correlation and deduction. A pragmatic position if I ever saw one.***

I have no dispute that you have modeled a 'pipeline'. The question is whether you have enough justification to say that this mathematically constructed 'pipeline' has any correlation to the human condition. There is not enough scientific justification (or philosophical justification) to suggest it since a) you lack (scientific observable) predictions of the future hence we cannot test your model, and b) we do not know enough about the human 'pipeline(s)', thus we cannot know more about these 'things that we know not'.

It may be a pragmatic position for you and Paul, but for most of everyone else it serves no vital purpose, and cannot be shown to do so - at least especially not for the needs of science or the needs of philosophy.

Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins