Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Experiment

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.O.Sofir on April 9, 2000 07:02:51 UTC

Right, it is the effect of speed on matter/time which I am interested in. I keep hearing that twins thing about one staying on earth and one taking a long journey at light speed and how the one back home has aged 50 years and the traveller only 10... I keep thinking this must be because speed slows the rate of change in an object, the reason I put it this way is because I really do not believe in time as a true part of reality when it comes to warping space or jumping ahead and slowing the aging process, there must be another explaination, or that this does not occur at all and the theory of relativity is wrong in its assumption of this affect of speed.
I believe that there is only one dimension, that the universe is an open system (endless) and that time is really just movement/change which gives our perception the illusion of time "passing" or even coming. My example of this is watching a train from afar until it comes to meet you and then goes by. This movement as I percived it was first coming toward me (I could predict movement ahead of the occurance) then meeting me (in my presence/local) and finally going by (passing).
This illustrates how we perceive movement/change
and gives the illusion of "seeing" time coming in the future, being in the presence of change/focusing on a point to which we label the "present" to the exclusion of another moment and then the "past" as an event that happened.
The reason I feel this important to seperate is that even though almost everyone agrees that we cannot "go" to the past or future and that we live in the present only, there are scientific theories which claim just that, and are based on the assumption that time is a real entity which can be affected by speed or warps in curved space... The reason I wanted both the vacume and the regular material is to actually see the effect firsthand if in fact it produces the slowdown effect, and then see if the effect was canceled out by the vacume, which would insulate it (I think) from the effect of the speed and distance. I have heard of some atomic clocks being tested, something about south and east affecting a millisecond of decrease or increase, but do not get the point of how the direction affects it. Anyway, it would be neat to send such an unmanned mission to find out for sure what te deal with time is, send a mini-version of hubble out there (5 light years away) and see things from that perpective including our own system...
Boy, all these experiments would probably cost a bundle! :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins