Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
And What Could Be More Important Than That?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Not On Your Life on May 29, 2003 19:40:42 UTC

Mark wrote in part:
"So your argument is valid I must say, but it side-steps the message of the student's argument: evil doesn't exist, God exists and in his absence you'll find sin. Energy exists, and in its absence you find a void (cold and dark)."

Thank you Mark. My point is exactly that while the mystical poetry of a church may unfreeze our
higher mind and show us a glimmer of truth -- the first step in scientific discovery -- we must never do the evil thing that has been done before: use technically untrue metaphors in the final stage of establishing the truth of a matter. I worry because invoking God's name has not prevented burnings at the stake etc.
Unless you are defending what I feel are excesses in religious history, we must admit God has been present in name, at least, during terribly evil events. Thus, I look for technical correctness, whether God's name is being chanted or not. "Technical" should not mean "in the fine print" but "actually, according to the best-conceived rules we know."
What do you think of that? Nothing?
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins