Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
This Is Why I Didn't Include "the Answer" In My First Post...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on May 29, 2003 19:11:41 UTC

because I knew it was highly vulnerable to logical attack. In that post, I was just extatic that the subject was brought up that Sunday and I didn't want the logical flaws of the answer to dull the message of the significance of that event in my life. I still found the answer to be pretty clever though; I thought it was cool.

I've still got a million other problems with the logic of Christianity. My major struggle right now is to decide whether to look past all the logical absurdities and listen to what seems apparently to be God trying to reach out to me, or to accept the fact that the bible appears to be an ingeniously intricate con, perfected by the whole "don't question me or you'll spend your eternity in a horrible place" tactic. OBVIOUSLY you won't find the flaws if you don't question, hence you'll be a "faithfull believer" and be "saved" by a genius con artist (oh yeah by the way, throw some money in this basket as I pass it around). Have I been duped?

I guess I have my doubts, but I have a feeling inside that tells me to believe in God. I know religion is an effective means of mass control, but hey, nothing bad can really come from living the way the bible instructs. Honesty, goodness, giving to needy people, caring for the less fortunate, not being greedy, not stealing, no cheating. What a beautiful world it would be if we did live as the bible instructs. Sure there are logical flaws, but I can't seem to find any indication that the teachings of Jesus can hurt or hinder my life. Even if it's all fake, you can still lead a good life with no worries if you don't lie (living with fear of being "found out" is the alternative), cheat (hey, you may have cheated the person that turns out to be THE ONE PERSON you need most on a later day, maybe to save your life), envy (what good can come from hating somebody for what they have?).

And when I say "a good life with no worries" I'm not talking about worrying about bills, kids getting to school, problems at work. Those are normal day to day worries. What I mean is that one big secret you hold inside can turn out to be your biggest worry in the end (like Bill Clinton's catastrophic lies ruined the public view of his character, almost cost him the presidency, and did irreversable damage to his marriage and trust). These are not normal worries, I'm sure he squirmed a few nights with thoughts of "what if the truth gets out". It could litteraly ruin his life! It looks like he recovered, but he can never reverse the damage it did, and it very well may have scarred his soul (on the outside he looks fine but he'll carry that on the inside to his death bed). I could be totaly wrong about Clinton, but I only used him as an example of what sin can do, and staying free of sin can only lead to a good life (good is not necessarily defined by wealth and power) with no (ok normal and menial) worries.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins