Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
C'mon Mike. Gimme A Break

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on May 27, 2003 22:46:24 UTC

Hi Mike,

"Truly, Paul, I will miss it"

You will miss what?

"I don't know if you simply did not read the forum or whether
something else has occurred
"

I did read the forum and many other things have occurred. So many, in fact, that they have left me short of time.

"but if you had, you would know the alliances you are making based on "niceness""

It is not my intent to make alliances and if I am doing so, I am not aware of it, nor do I care. I don't try to be nice, but I do try to avoid being or appearing to be mean. Sometimes just not being mean makes one seem nice.

" the alliances you are making ... are inconsistent in the "niceness" department"

Ummmm. Huh?

"the alliances you are making ... certainly lack rigor and content. "

That is because the making of any alliance was purely accidental, unintended, unnoticed, and unacknowledged. You can't expect me to make such an alliance robust and rigorous, now, can you?

"If discussing cosmology, truth or science, there's no good excuse for the kind of conscience-free filth and laziness your other pals have been slinging."

I don't know what "pals" you have in mind, Mike, but that's a pretty harsh characterization. I think you call it "conscience-free" because you have some ideals in your mind that you think everyone else should take as seriously as you do. Even if people have some burning issue that is important to them, they don't necessarily spill it all out in a forum like this. I don't know why you call any of it "filth". I think the language is pretty clean on this forum and there aren't many other connotations of 'filth' that would apply to a verbal exchange. I think in your haste, or anger, you made a bad choice of words. As for laziness, one of the biggest measures might be word count. Those who post zero words could be considered to be laziest of all. Another measure might be carelessness in grammar or spelling. One might consider another lazy if errors of that kind went uncorrected. Another factor that enters into laziness is the juxtaposition of the effort expended writing posts to this forum with the effort of other life endeavors. I think some of the posters here are pretty energetic people with rich lives. I think you were just lashing out with language that could easily be taken as offensive by some people.

"They represented their reason for discussing these topics, by implication, to be good faith conversation"

Yes...?

"But if critical points are not answered"

Are you talkin' ta me? When I answered Yanniru's post, I was short of time and only wanted to let people know that his idea of evil originating with the process of evolution was pretty much consistent with my idea of evil. That was all. If there were critical points in his post that you think I should have answered, then tell me what they are and when I get time I will try to answer them.

"and credentialism is invoked instead"

Here you can't be talking to me. If I have ever invoked credentialism, please cite a reference and I will post a retraction.

" followed by menacing and harsh personal attacks,"

Here you can't be talking to me. If I have ever written any menacing or harsh personal attacks in this forum, please cite a reference and I will humbly and profusely apologize.

"then your choice of friends is indeed in question"

Here you sound like you ARE talking to me. What are you trying to do to our friendship, Mike? Back off.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins