Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sorry If I Disappointed You

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on May 26, 2003 22:57:07 UTC

Hi Mike,

"Real science does NOT hold:
1) that evolution has a creative directionality as described;
"

Yes, I know it doesn't. But then, I don't agree completely with Real Science's description of how life originated and was formed.

"it would not be necessary, in any "guided" process of developing these higher faculties, to wallow in the age of the dinosaurs for 160 million years--"

You made your statement too strong by saying "any". Don't forget, I am the guy who believes God is limited and imperfect. In my scheme he did the best he could with what he knew at the time. By some measures, those dinosaurs were pretty successful and impressive.

"Nor does real science hold:
2) that warfare has created, through natural selection, more "advanced" human beings.
"

That could be true. I can't speak for Real Science.

"It simply is not true."

I think it simply is true.

"The process will create more
successful warriors in a clumsy and wasteful way.
"

...which it did!

"Humans preen ourselves with vain conceit that our insights are great, but the argument over which insights are greater is still basically settled too often by mere destructive power. Oh, gee, now we can do 1/100th what a volcano can do. We're so advanced. What a dumpload. Wait 'til the jury returns with a verdict on humanity's great heights of achievements."

You are right. Time will tell. But, I am more optimistic than you seem to be. I think we will narrowly escape blundering into destroying ourselves, and will go on to colonize vast reaches of space in time to save our progeny from the burnout of the Sun. If I am right, they will return a verdict in my favor. If I am wrong, there will be no one around to give you a positive verdict. No wonder you are pessimistic. Heads I win; tails you lose.

"Don't be fooled; your contemporaries are not necessarily in your own age group."

Thanks. I'll try to avoid being fooled. But, keep watching out for me anyway. I appreciate it.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins