Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on May 24, 2003 18:01:18 UTC

I grew up on science books and logic. For a long time my "religion" centered around what mathematical reasoning can-and-will and cannot-and-will not allow. But I'll tell you this...

A relationship with God is completely personal and cannot be generalized to society as a whole. I believe that a person's mind can have an infinite potential interpretations of events that take place in their life, and that ultimately the only interpretation that matters in life is your own. I can read your post above, sit and think about it, and then change my mind about God based on the very convincing argument you gave. I could also interpret the post above as a clever lie crafted by the Father of Lies himself and delivered through you, dangerously convincing...

By the way I REALLY HOPE I didn't offend you. This is all for the sake of debate and making a point. Your above post didn't offend me at all so between buddies...

I can say that any interpretation of God (whether he is an ingenious symbol created by an intellectual elite to control the masses or a genuine loving Father) is not right or wrong. The only interpretation that ultimately matters is your own. Your (my) own beliefs will ultimately save you (me) or condemn you (me).

Neo: "How do I know I can trust you?"

The Oracle: "You absolutely cannot! All you can do is decide for yourself whether you are going to accept or reject what I am about to tell you."

It's simply a matter of personal belief. I believe God has spoken to me by performing "coincidences" that were so far- fetched and right-timing that there had to be some kinda deeper meaning to it. A mind that is ready to receive the Word of God will see these coincidences and interpret them differently than a mind that isn't quite ready yet.
Then again, I can be completely wrong and a bit schitzophrenic, fitting the meaning I want to what was otherwise a meaningless event of probability. The only interpretation that matters is your own, and you can either "accept or reject what I'm telling you."

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins