Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Indeed

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by A. Souza on May 23, 2003 18:58:17 UTC

" I just find it difficult to argue with you when it feels like you're not trying to make a point. "

I AM trying to make a point. The point is that any argument can be reduced to a play with words. The easiest way to prove someone wrong is to show that their argument violates the rules of language. When it comes to assertions about the physical world, facts are more important than semantics, but when it comes to deciding what words mean, semantics is the only game.

" I didn't come up with a definition, I just drew a correlation between the terms "physical" and "existent" without bothering to define them... "

Sorry Mario, but a proposed correlation between two terms IS a definition. The point is not whether "physical" and "existing" are the same thing, the point is can they be thought of as being the same thing?

" I simply see them as being quite nearly synonyms. "

"synonym"? See, even you realize it's a problem of semantics.

" Hallucinations and poverty? They *exist* to the extent that they are concepts that our minds have descriptions for, and they *exist* to the extent that they have their foundations rooted in physicality, and they *exist* to the extent that our minds exist, yes. "

If you follow that line of thinking, you will end up "discovering" that unicorns also exist.

Don't be fooled by your own naivete Mario, people far smarter than you and I have been debating those questions for centuries and they still do not know the answers.

" I'm not a dualist. "

Yes you are, you just don't know it. Like death and taxes, there's no escape from dualism, although you can certainly hide from it for a while.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins