Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Must Life Have Purpose?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Phil.o.Sofir on January 21, 1999 13:13:43 UTC

To say that life has a purpose is in my opinion absurd, for it necessitates predestination and in many cases, demands that some form of power created and gave. To say that we were "created" for any specific reason is to worship wishful thinking. On the other hand, we as human beings feel such things as a sense of purpose, and create these for ourselves, which is just fine, as long as recognize it for what it is. Purpose is much like a driver, in computers it directs the function of the device, and our own drivers are much like these programs, but in biological organisms, much more complex, and much more freedom to control the alteration of the program even while you are operating in it. As far as the universe is concerned, there are vast posibillities, life is only one of them, and viewed from the perspective of eternity in not only time but space(which is really the same thing), if something has even the slightest possibility of occuring at some point, then it will occur. We are so lucky to have a conscience such as we do, and should be thankful, but to who, or to what? I am just thankful, I do not direct this thankfulness toward anything specific, but use it to promote and relate to what I do know about what I am, where I came from, where I may just be able to go, and all of this allows me to accept my self, and my purpose. Child rearing is my dominant concern and then fulfilment of the basic desires first for myself and then for my mate. The self/mate seems lowly, but nature has a way of reciprocity whick alows for the fullfilment of both our needs through many of the same actions, therby forming a cooperative setting. Although there are many more branches to this tree, I think I have at least shown some root and sap. I would like to hear some other ideas on meaningfulness and purpose, thanks.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins