Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I've Been Gone Awhile..

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on May 20, 2003 20:22:46 UTC

But I dropped in at just the right time. This is one of my favorite subjects; this and a lot of the stuff Harv talks about.

Trying to comprehend quantum mechanics is like trying to grab both your feet and pick yourself up. Being that we are part of the system, we cannot get any other perspective than an "insider" point of view. I've read a couple of Dr. Dick's posts and a coupl'a good books on the philosophy behind the movie, "The Matrix", and have come to the conclusion that science (specifically the physical sciences) is good for technological advancement, but is gradually becoming apparent that applying any interpretive meaning to the deeper issues is impossible.

If you read a good book on solipsism, how could anybody ever again convince you that you're not the only one who exists, completely alone in a vast cosmos created solely for your own experience.
And if you set your brain to work trying to comprehensively interpret quantum physics, how could you ever reach a conclusion that isn't itself derived from a network of quantum particles (i.e. the brain).

Perhaps if death separates you from the universe, then you're no longer trying to "pick yourself up using yourself" at which point the "truth" becomes crystal clear. But then again this implies that you simply elevate to a higher plane of understanding which is in itself subject to the "new rules" of whatever new universe or state of being you go to. Then it starts all over again the moment you question the nature of your new state. I guess you can never escape your own mind and therefor will always be trying to use the mind to understand itself (pick yourself up).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins