Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Assumptions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on May 19, 2003 21:58:18 UTC

Hi Kyle,

***You [Duane] said that I assume that: "1. There is nothing more to humans then the physical properties we know about." [sic] If I am assuming anything, ie. if I am taking something as a foundational postulate, then it is that we should not consider anything other than what we learn via empirical observation, experimentation and the methodical testing of hypotheses. Therefore I reject the supernatural, not because I assume it is non-existent a priori, but rather because I have no evidence of it. If I can obtain a scientifically satisfying, consistent theory of consciousness without invoking supernatural causation, then I can avoid the massive rearrangement of my entire scientific ontology that acceptance of the supernatural would entail. (see Occam's Razor)***

Ockham was a theist. Does that make a difference?

Seriously, though, the problem with your view is that Occam's razor is not an adequate tool to justify scientific belief. It works in conjuction with other facets of good science, but by itself it is not acceptable.

In terms of 'consciousness' it is neither valid or invalid to assume anything. The key is what method will progress likely result? Will progress likely result from spiritualism, or mind reading, etc, to understand what consciousness is, or will progress be more successful by applying scientific methods? If applying scientific methods is it better to assume a reductionist naturalistic explanation or a non-reductionist supernatural explanation?

This, in my view, is how science should proceed. The blatant response that science rejects supernaturalism because it is contrary to Occam's razor is misleading and open to a whole slew of philosophical difficulties that anti-realists have had a field day making known.

Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2021 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins