Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
But Harv....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alan on May 17, 2003 07:58:13 UTC

I exposed Psychiatry's medical-claims and its coercive practices; maybe that is big part of Psychiatry now? But there are alternatives to Psychiatry (like dispute-resolution and professional listening).

I supported professor of Psychiatry Thomas Szasz's view that to portray dissaproved-of conduct (and I might add, problems-with-living) as a defect in a person's body akin to physical medicine; looks like a case of fraud.

But I supported his view of an ethical profession of good listeners who can provide safe environment for people to bounce their difficulties around in without fear of being drugged, coerced, patronised, manipulated, diagnosed, or labelled.

I hope I did not dismiss physics; I mean to say that I have come across the idea that metaphors may be involved in physics.

The patterns of physics appear to deeply involve the patterns of mathematics; Wingen is often quoted about "The unreasonablke effectiveness of mathematics in the physical sciences".

Tien D. Kieu has used physics and mathematics to deal with isues involving Hilbert's tenth problem; I discovered on the internet.

F. David Peat in "Superstrings And The Theory Of Everything" suiggests that for physics to progress it may have to get into philosophy; and get pre-mathematical.

Chris Langan claims to have, in his CTMU (Cognitive Theoretic Model Of The Universe") given a pre-mathematical template for physics, it seems.

I think John Cramer's "handshake" universe; his transactional interpretation of quantum mechanics; is intriguing; when you consider Christianity teaches "God is Love. In Him we live and move and have our being".

Dr. Dick has allegedly found physics to be reducible to the law of non-contradiction; looks interesting; with Christianity saying "God is Existence".

I can show a pattern of physics as a discussion, with every viewpoint and perspective given a hearing. I recommend "The Cartoon Guide To Physics" as a suberb clear guide to basic physics laws. I recomend "QED. The Strange Theory Of Light And Matter" by Richard Feynman as a suberb guide to quantum electro-dynamics.

I recommend "The Force Of Symmetry" by Vincent Incke; as a clear guide to a lot of modern physics especially QED etc. This book in the back gives a reading program that can take an amateur all the way to the advanced level (though I haven't done that list).

I recommend "Superstrings And The Theory Of Everything" by F. David Peat for a clear guide to developments. Also: "In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat" by John Gribben; "Schrodinger's Kitten's" by John Gribben; "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku; also of interest is "The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose; "Shadows Of The Mind" by Roger Penrose; "The New Physics" edited by Paul Davies; and a book haven't the title here on mathematics in physics; Alexander was right that Encyclopeadia articles are very good- clear and direct; EmmyNoether.com is interesting; some Stephen Hawking stuff is on the net.

Also I suggest "An Introduction To Philosophical Analysis" by John Hospers; "Collingwood. An Autobiography" by Stephen Toulmin; "What Is This Thing Called Science" by R.F. Chalmers; "World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy, And Mathematics" edited by Timothy Ferris; also believe it or not: a textbook on primary school math; and for insight on psychiatry: many titles by Thomas S. Szasz (www.szasz.com).

A number of those books I've only read bits of; but please don't forget to take into consideration
that I've studied a bit?

Regards,

Alan

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins