Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sciatica Prevalent In

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tim on May 14, 2003 09:57:55 UTC

older men..(i read that somewhere)
i'm 53, 6'2", 175-180lb. have been for most of my life, except for about three years at about age 40 when i purposely went up to 250lb. i was taking Karate and wanted to have some weight behind my kicks and punchs. problem was once i decided i didn't want to weigh so much i found it difficult to lose the weight. i'd developed a gluttonous appetite in the process of gaining, the appetite was spurred on by the exercise i was doing.
i over came the problem by changing my attitude.
i jog three miles every other day (resting a day is good), lift weights on the other day. jogging burns off weight, lifting weights builds muscel which the body will feed energy sacrificing fat for the muscel if you don't fall for the natural craving to eat more. when i feel that "hunger" craving i tell myself, don't fall for it, it's just your body wanting to feed the muscel you built lifting weights, let the body feed the muscel some fat.
the attitude change for me went like this. i'd often heard people talk about how amazingly little one really needs to survive. understanding that fact i keep that awareness when i sit down for my three meals a day. smaller portions are all one needs, the supersize mentality that is bandied about in this culture really does affect us. i maintain a frugal attitude, but knowing that i'm going to have cravings i give into them but only one meal a day. i eat the classic healthy breakfast, lunch (you know like mom told us to have) and then for dinner i eat what ever my cravings cry out for (but do maintain smaller portions than the supersize mentality).
stretching properly may help relieve that sciatica. touch your toes, reach for the sky, bend side to side (21 times for each stretch)
the bending side to side should especially help.
10 to 15 miles per day sounds like a bit much.

regards tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins