Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Oops, Something On The Stove. Gotta Go

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by M.W.Pearson on May 13, 2003 17:00:33 UTC

Flair might return with the end of pumped-in interference. It might be fun and instructive to have an actual count of posts per week per person(however many user names).
More posts is not better or worse for a person's reputation.. It is simply data, and most of us like numbers.
You mention you don't read the 'clutter' posts
If you read them carefully, I think you would conclude that Yanniru, because he was a paid
scientist, believed he could throw his weight
around a lot more than anyone else would. He
appointed himself moderator a long time ago,
but it seems he never really studied the field of broadcast "panel moderation." His default position was to yell and harrass those, especially me, whose level annoyed him. He was not outwardly annoyed by the ignorant or by those who wrote brash, all-encompassing condemnations of me without refuting my content.
And he wasn't annoyed with himself for being
ostentatiously unfair and inaccurate and following my notes with off-topic blather.
Certain other posters are impressed with that, but it has no place in scientific protocol -- not in real science. Certainly religion has
the capacity to do anything without expecting to be accountable for it.

Any suggestion I would make would be in the
vein of the career field of professional moderation. As a former newspaper editor, I knew what it was like to have everyone want their
own story told prominently and to have reader response. I know that working with multiple
writers is a respected profession. Because this
forum's purpose may be defined creatively by
the webmaster, he will have various options for
harnessing the power gained by his experience so
far. It was necessary to see what problems actually develop before designing the next generation guidelines on how to run the
operation.

Among the guidelines in a newspaper were
1) the stated purpose of the newspaper guided all decisions about security, accuracy, propriety and policy
2) we tried to include everyone who was supposed to be included

If this conversation continues, I might make a few suggestions about criteria for moderation,
but until then, that's it.

T

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins