Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Because You Spoil The Fun

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on May 9, 2003 16:15:07 UTC

Dick,

Let me go right to the heart of this matter:

***Now, the question I ask you is, do you believe these two categories do or do not exist? If you do not believe they exist, then it seems to me that you either believe nothing can possibly be "knowable" as true or that everything you believe is true.***

No, I do not think these two categories exist in that way for the same reason that I think the color red does not exist in that way. Red is perceptual term and what is 'red' for one might not be 'red' for another. You have effectively talked about a problem in our knowledge of 'red'. You can create a whole mathematical treatise on whether 'red' is a knowable color or an unknowable color, but at the end of the day you haven't defined 'red' you are just assuming that that term means something universal, and yet it doesn't, and can't. The same applies to terms like 'prove', 'true', etc. These terms are used by you, and you seem to want people to think of these terms like you do. Define what you mean by all these terms, otherwise all of your conclusions mean nothing.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins