Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Ignorance Of People In General

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on April 4, 2000 08:41:47 UTC

I think i realize the futility of even responding but what the heck. Lets look at the word Ignorance. All it really means is "not knowing", so in matters of religion, you`ve admitted that everyone is ignorant... even the theist. You said it yourself: "who is stupid? a guy that knows he is not going to win the lottery but places all his money in it and loses, damning himself for not investing in something else, or the athiest..." So in this context, i really don`t see anything wrong with saying "i`m ignorant of the existance of God" because it`s true. You nor i nor anyone on this planet can attest to KNOWING he exists, you can only postulate it by comparing theories. Remember, christianity IS just a theory as well, and quite an inconsistent one i might add. That`s not to say the bible shouldn`t be admired as a beautiful reflection of a bygone culture, because religion and culture have always been intimately linked. Oh and i do invest my beliefs in something. It`s called human potential, we can improve things in the here and now... a distant God you imagine has a comparably harder time doing it.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins