Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Veiled Delusions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tim on May 4, 2003 14:01:31 UTC

if i'm understanding Dr. Dick correctly i probably do have delusions as a result of the veil of my senses and what my subconcsious makes of the data that comes through...

1) How do you determine what genes are worth?
2) Please elaborate in general on this passage.

it has been said that all questions have a statement behind them, Eric Berne "Games People Play".
if i get the statement in 1)... i'd have to agree it would be subjective to imply the worth of genes while in nature the process is actually an objective one.
so in response to 2)...

1st let me define wisdom according to my belief..
wisdom is that which tends toward life.
from my perspective the peacock hen and her
suitors that respect the peacock with the most impressive tail feathers may not be making the wisest choice. the other suitors with less endowed tail feathers may infact be the better fighters, may be more intelligent, may have genes that have advantages with respect to survial that the more endowed peacock does not have and yet simply because of this impressive display of tail feathers those suitors run off and the hen chooses the suitor with the most impressive tail feathers.

i understand that aspects of evolution take care of the situation i have posed. i suppose my example only points to an apparent issue of inefficiency with respect to the process. in a sense i've argued for your proposal that evolution favors lying, cheating and theives...
at least from the perspective of my definition of wisdom.

there is a further issue though, that of mutation.
i freely state i don't know with in the theory of evolution what it is that drives mutations. my assumption is that it is a result of things that happen in the quantum realm. a thing that happens as a result of probabilities such that if anything can happen it will. eventually such events would work its way into DNA. once that happens mutations can be realized.
so it is i only offer a guess, a hunch.
that it is chance, the element of luck that defeats lying, cheating and theives...
perhaps it is a cyclic process.
wisdom as i've defined it, in my consensus shall prevail. and that would be with in the thoughts you made with respect to "intention".

regards tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins