Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It Boils Down To This...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on May 2, 2003 04:20:01 UTC

A star that burns twice as bright burns half as long. We can pretty much stick to that old adage for MOST things in life. So, Serling lived an eventful, hard, exciting life, and then it ended quickly.

My Great Grandmother, raised two children on her own, relocated 40 family members to the United States pre-WWII (in fear of Hitler), watched the Hindenburg crash before her eyes, started the first day camp in New York, became a world traveler, and had time enough to love her kids, and the 118 offspring that became her Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren. All by the age of 96. WOW, now that was a lot of years, and a lot of excitement. But she defied some odds I'd say.

How about the drunk driver who is careless, gets so hammered and kills a group of people in an oncoming car, but lives themselves.

It happens differently for all of us you know. I guess the general thought is that if you lead a cautious and healthy existence that your chances increase greatly of surviving and living long. There may be a great amount of truth to that, but there are definately exceptions to the rule. More often than not.

I myself, have had a couple of the luxuries of life, was very provided for, and yet did not have the healthiest of years behind me. I did not care. I did what I wanted, and did not set a course or make the best decisions. I am affected by that set of 'happenings' (if you will) right now. My health is falling off fast. Can I get it back on track? I don't know. I will make whatever needed changes to 'upright' my health. I will carry on though. I am 40.

One thing for sure, while keeping in mind that 'best practices' can only be of benefit to me, I will not mentally falter (if I can help it). I have seen a small amount of depression, but generally have been in exceptionally good spirits, and will continue to do so. My mental 'quality of life' will burn as long as it can burn. It will not go down with the ship, that much I promise.

I am not the smartest person in world. Oh yeah, I have talent in limited places. If I had to gage my common sense, I would rate it about a 6.5 (on a 10 scale). Oddly enough, the low figure is derived by common sense absolutely NOT applying in some areas of life, and in others I definately excel. But this is not bad for a person who got Ds & Fs through high school (first three years), and then all As in the last year. By the way, no drugs or alcohol played a role in bad grades. Lack of self esteem did that job. The last year you might say, I had a spiritual awakening, and that helped me get into college.

Anyway, I must dispense with the particulars for the moment and get back on track.

I have quit smoking, no drinking or other chemicals, changed two thirds of my food intake to healthy objects. (Salads, Fruits, and Sushi).

These changes do not promise a longer life, but they do not promote a bad one.

Yeah, people are affected different in many ways. Despite how they act.

That is all

End of line...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins