Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
If A Tree Falls In The Forest And Nobody Is There To Hear It....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tim on April 27, 2003 18:36:18 UTC

permitt a small quote sir:
"Perhaps the incidental inquirer seldom contemplates further than the fleeting
expressions of life forms can intimate.
Yet should we leave this life without
first making friends with our friends,
the non-living intimates whose expressions
may be as profound, and certainly bear
deeper examination?"

shudder something a bit morous here or perhaps sad...

my background has Christian ideas in it, truly i don't mean to extend such ideas into this discussion but the quote above makes me think of something Jesus said upon being told to rebuke and silence his disciples.
with in this text:
" And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."

stones crying out, now that is an inaminate thing whose expressions may be as profound, and certainly bear deeper examination.

i've noticed that the concept of observer is becoming more and more important with respect to scientific theory and thought. and i beleive
there has been some thinking that an observer need not be a sentient being in the same sense that living things are. i find it an interesting concept.

regards tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins