Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Right On!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on April 24, 2003 00:53:03 UTC

I agree wityh Harvey. In fact, I am quite amused at how very disparate abstractions (read assumptions) can lead to the same correct theories.

My favorite example, is the QED derivation of Feymann which assumes that only particles exist, but that anti-particles (positrons) travel back from the future to cancel the otherwise infinities of the electron in Quantum ElectroDynamics.

Another is Einstein's General Relativity which attributes gravitational attraction to space-time geometrical distortion.

The Standard Theory provides an alternative abstraction to both QED and GR.

So physics does not tell us what reality is. It just tells us what equations agree with experiment and that many different fundamental theories can be dual- i.e.,fundamentally different abstractions can derive the same equations. The conclusion, in agreement with Harvey I believe, is that correct equations do not make correct assumptions or abstractions, they make myths.

My tendency in such cases is to look at scripture to decide which myths are more likely to be real, as I have often stated in past posts.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins