Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Being A Drummer I Had To Read Amandan's Paper

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on April 22, 2003 17:57:31 UTC

First of all I did not realize Amandan had a position at Oxford. I doubt if he would bother with a forum, especially this one.

Next it became abundantly apparent from the paper that Amandan thinks symmetries control reality. He argues that the probabilities, which he later claims indicate a lack of intelligent design, that those microscopic probabilities are controlled by symmetries- second paragraph on page two of his paper. But he does not actually use the words "no intelligent design to the universe" until page 16 of 17 text pages. And just before that he points out that "if there is one finite dimensional group that determines all interactions then that would constitute a law".

So for him everything, whether law or randomness, comes from symmetry. It was always my contention that DoctorDick's universal laws came from symmetry. So I can well understand that DoctorDick's opinion was in disagreement with Amadan's paper leading to the disconnect with Helen or eva or whomever.

Personally I disagree with Amandan as well since an intelligent design could be of symmetry and not necesarily law. Law implies predetermination whereas probability implies human choice. I even claim that prophecy such as in the Book of Revelation is of all the possibilities since we find contradictory prophecies in Revelations.
Besides my own personal experience suggests that an intelliegent being or beings is using coincidence to guide the universe.

yanniru

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins