Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Great Expectations

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tim on April 21, 2003 01:19:48 UTC

i too expect order in the natural world up to a point. i also expect anomolies or what at least what appear to be anomolies.
i don't know this to be a fact but i have in recent years come to suspect that the laws of physics have a conceptual counter part that exists within the common human mind that are related to normal human life experience. i'm not referring to philosophical or religious beliefs that can and do influence the interpretation and even developement of scientific theories. i mean the conceptial mechanisms involved in the mental process's that leads to our common understanding of the physical world. what got me thinking along these lines has been my pondering over the properties and implications of the uncertainty principle. one day it just occured to me that uncertainty is a common ordinary human experience with respect to the physical world around us.
but it is a little more than that, it is also a truth of human experience that can occur for real reasons. this fact makes me suspect that there should be a physical law behind that truth of experience and infact there is such a law, that of the uncertainty principle. the principle of relativity is another physical law that may have roots in common ordinary conceptial mechanisms involved in the mental process's that leads to our common understanding of the physical world.
the knowledge of the constancy of the speed of light would not be such an example but the understanding of relative motion would be. we have a sense of the relativity of motion on a fundamental level as a truth of experience. so one might expect a physical law lurking there. the key to that law being apparently the constancy of the speed of light.
hmm am i rambling here :)

regards, tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins