Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Component In The Sense Of Part That Something Is Made Of

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tim on April 17, 2003 13:36:55 UTC

is how i mean to use the word component in the sentance below:
...the time component of motion could be considered a dimension.

more precisely the time component would be the denominator in the expression for velocity (V) expressed below:
V=dx/dt where x is some point on some coordinate axis and t is time. dt refers to the rate of change of time infinitesimaly.

to accept the whole scenerio one would have to accept the notion that the essence of motion is velocity in infinitesimal manifestations.

now dt=dx/V lets let V=1
in that case dt=dx or the rate of change of time is equal to the rate of change of position.

note that if V=0 then dt is undefined. this implies that in order for a rate of change of time to exist there must be velocity. also if dx=0 then dt=0 implying that if there is no rate of change of position then there is no rate of change of time.

i suppose in the case where V=1 that one could consider motion as a dimension in the sense that on an infinitesimal level there is allways some rate of change of position going on.

with respect to motion here is where the rub comes in as far as my thinking goes, motion is when something moves in what ever dimensions exist. so actually motion takes place in the dimensions of width, depth, height and time.

regards tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins