Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yaniru...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Phillip Martin on April 7, 2003 04:07:51 UTC

(correct me if I am wrong)I remember you saying something about God revealing information to us when we were ready for it, and that is what technology was. With the advent of GE and with new GE technology letting humans control their own fate in coming years, does that seem to you as a sign that God wants us to use it- or that He thinks we are ready?

The way I think about it (this is also what I tell anyone I know at school who argues with me about GE):
We posses the technology of GE, and we are becoming more and more able to apply it. If God did not want us to use it, then he would stop us, its that simple. We are our only problem, We alone are stopping ourselves from progress, and We have o keep advancing the technology (and technology as a whole). Even if God wants to see what we do ith it for whatever reason, what about weapons? The tank- purpose... to kill. The bomb- purpose... to kill. Bio/Chem/Rad weapons- purpose... to kill. Bullets, swordes, tasers, all of these things are made for the purpose of either killing or rendering a being defenseless. How many people have guns? I think the average is 2.1 (I may be totally wrong, though- I heard it from somewhere the other day). Why should we let weapons which destroy go, and yet try to stop GE when it has such a great potential to help animals of all sorts and end suffering? Anyone can use a weapon, but only trained professionlas can use GE. Thats what I argue most of the time.

I have never really understood why GE and other sciences are so evil. I undestand killing, but why science? Its gotten us to where we are today.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins