Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Am Trying To Understand...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on March 22, 2003 08:06:36 UTC

So, I ask of a person who is taking a trip to her country, Bosnia, to see her family. Maybe this is not the best time for you to go, I mean with the war and all. She replies, if it is my time to die then it is my time. I am going to go.

Am I missing something here? We have x number of days on earth, it is known as the sum of our life. I would think, not only as part of our instinct to survive, that some sort of measure would be taken for self preservation other than letting the 'chips fall where they may'. I am not suggesting living life in paranoia or shelter, but live it with a bit of caution.

I kinda get the feeling that she is saying that she is not going to stop living or doing things despite of the potential danger and that if it happens, maybe she will leave this world knowing that she did what she wanted, always.

I am in fear of two things. One: Dying Two: Having our lives turned upside down to the point of loosing our freedom. I cannot live in captivity or anything other than what we have.

With respect to dying, is it selfish of me, to seek self preservation, knowing inside that I have been blessed with life, and that I should thank GOD for giving me even one breath, one footstep, and the ability to open my eyes on the world and any extra time I gain is the sum of the entire blessing to live by GOD's will.

And then I ask, is it selfish to take one's own life in the event that freedom of choice, enforced by others, is taken away?

Is it selfish?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins