Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes, It Could...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on March 20, 2003 06:04:52 UTC

That is our ultimate goal I think. No one want's a soul killed. So, Ideally that is our direction.

We offered hussein the opportunity to leave, and I would imagine that if he did, we would wish to take him into custody. (I will make a statement regarding 'Hussein being asked to give up power' further down the page)

I am multi-sided about this whole set of actions.

Terrorism is out, zero tolerance policy applies here. I stand firm on that. He (Saddam) has supported terrorism on a global scale, and as I understand it, as late as last week, was openly supporting it by paying families of radical militants (placing a sum of money on human life). I regard him as a pimp who whores out death and destruction.

It is evident that the way hussein has carried on his life/dictatorship (according to reports) has been incredibly similar to leaders of sixty years ago. This, as I am sure you will agree, is in-humane. He must be removed.

I am not happy about a military application but what choice do we have.

A teacher of mine, who I learned C++ from, is from Iraq. He expressed that the removal of Saddam would be devistating because the US and it's allies will attempt to place into power one of a few muslim factions. He stated that the opposing muslim factions (the remaining) to the one placed in power will attempt to overthrow the one put in power, and that this would be a continued struggle for many years. Yielding terminal unrest. So, if my teacher believes this, I can see where his concerns are. I never discussed/asked the death and destruction trail Saddam has left. But oddly enough, we shared religious comparisons. I found that to be very fascinating.

So, if this unrest is to come about, due to change, and I might add, I have collected a few articles where all or the majority of European countries have come to the same conclusion, I ask the following.

Is the risk of removal less or more than keeping Saddam in power and going through the slow and painful process of disarming him with the US/UN/etc?

I think we should take that chance. Of Removal.

Now, back to 'Hussein being asked to give up power'.

Many people are against any type of military action. Hey, that is what our country is about. Our ability (right) to agree/disagree. We took twelve years to make attempts, with UN/SC backing to oversee the disarming of this country. We wanted to go in again, many months ago, and did not. We, more importantly, asked every country their opinion as to what actions to take. Regardless of whether they agreed or not, we considered what they had to say, and even better, we listened to their reasonings behind attack or not. Whereas Saddam, twelve years ago, simply went into Kuwait, and took it over. Hussein did not ask anyone, he just stormed the country. That is one of the bigger differences between his regime and our American society. Another major difference is we listen to people who have an opinion and Saddam kills anyone (and their families) for even having an opinion that differs from his.

It is time. Our world has had enough.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins