Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Certainly No Evidence Is Offered By Ted To The Contrary

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by M.W.Pearson on March 19, 2003 02:55:53 UTC

Hi, Ted. I hope you are ready for a real tug-of-war. I usually win on merits too easily and then they become rude. You seem to have a special reverence for true knowledge, so I hope you are different.

Ted wrote:
"I see no good evidence that any human being at present time, is near the level that the ancients understood our universe."

Here is an example of evidence that modern persons have an advantage in knowledge of the universe: As far as I know,
"the ancients" did not leave records of knowledge of the microbial world ... single cells of life were a complete mystery to them.

Ted wrote:
" What our culture has gained in "modern science", we have equally lost in the ability to understand our role in the universe."

This is a thesis requiring further support... and may indeed be true of yourself. But you said "we." What is your evidence that the ancients understood "our role in the universe" better than I do?

Ted wrote:
QUESTION: Do you HONESTLY believe that you are more informed about life, than someone from 2500 years ago?

We have available to me the writings of several cultures of that period whose work may have been unknown to one another.
This alone gives me some chance of being more informed.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins