Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Same Bodies Of Matter And Dimensions Could Only "forever" Ex

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 11, 2003 13:15:08 UTC

Murat,

The statement in the above caught my eye. As far as I can tell, Steinhardt's cyclic universe collapses to the extent that all massive bodies cease to exist. In fact, once the temperature of the universe rises above the Higgs temperature, which is just above the electro-weak energy level, mass as we know it ceases to exist, at least according to the Standard Theory.

So what happens is something like the big bang. The universe comes rushing in. Dark Energy diminuishes because it is proportional to the amount of space in the universe, so physicists seem to think, and mass with its gravity takes over. The universe is heading for a massive black hole when its temperature rises above Higgs, the mass disappears and the universe bounces.

What I have not been able to figure out from Steinhardt's work is how close does the universe get to the singularity of the big bang. We know that it gets within 300,000 years because of COBE data. It must get to the electro-weak force era for mass to disappear just beyond that energy level. But then the universe continues to coast or implode. So I cannot determine if it gets to within a few minutes or hours of the singularity. But after that it re-expands just like a Big Bang according to Steinhardt.

For example, it could get to the energy level where matter and anti-matter can co-exist. Steinhadt to my knowledge has not addressed these questions. If someone knows where he has, I would very much like the reference.

yanniru

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins