Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Copy Cat

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on March 2, 2003 21:13:22 UTC

I would imagine that bias would play a big part in "Selection". Regardless of "Rules" & "Laws" set up to support the fairness of it, history would dictate that we would "Push" the rules/laws and edge on unfair selection. Money, Money, Money... That is what the issue would be besides who is more 'right' to be cloned etc.

I wonder though, is there a great benefit to this Human GE thing? Now, from a foods perspective maybe. I might be able to see some benefit with GE foods, but would there be a long term effect because of eating GE foods? Maybe. Let us say for example that we spend 10,000 years (or simply a lengthly amount of time to make a difference) eating genetically perfect foods. Would we become intollerant of anything but?

Roll of the Dice...

As life goes on, we are simply rolling the dice with respect to "How We End Up, And Who We Are." Our research, that aids in our longevity/health, is based on that. If we introduce "Same-ness" (as I might call it), do we then put at risk those technologies, which we have worked so hard for, and introduce new/unwanted factors etc. It's just a thought.

As far as "Is it the unGODly thing to do", well, it does breach natural order/selection/uniqueness, but I do not know if I would go as far as saying it was unGODly (or not what GOD wants). Who knows what GOD wants? And I am a believer in GOD, that is for sure. But, my thinking takes me to the following. Man (Humans) have the ability to think and learn, GE is something that we thought of and taught ourselves about (like anything else), so why not? Right? So I am really caught between the benefits and hazards of GE.

Benefits and Hazards...

The benefits and hazards, I see, would be how humans harness it. Just like Nuclear technology. We use nuclear technology for electricity, that is good, but we have the ability to blow ourselves up, and that is bad.

I do see that the intention of GE is good. I mean probably to aid in longevity etc, but I can see some one/people going hitler on us and attempting to do a master race thing (Boys from Brazil - Movie). And that is bad.

Maybe it's like anything else that has the potential to do us good/harm.

What could we do with GE safely...

What could we do with GE? Well, we could grow genetically perfect entities that are not consumed by the human body or that do not have any potential destructive effect on life. Say for example, better clothes from natural textiles that wear better, or we could grow certain materials to build better buildings/dwellings etc.

Who knows, maybe we can develop a new substance that replaces silicon for computer chip use. Not only does it "grow" but would have the ability to repair itself.

I found a story, maybe you have seen it. this is from cnn. It's about a cat, or is it cats. You decide. http://rgg.net/copycat.pdf

Just a few thoughts.

Robert

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins