Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well This Is Bit God Science

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Murat Bilginer on February 25, 2003 21:05:09 UTC

i dont want to get in trouble, im not trying to perpetuate political debate in god and science, but this is close to the mark.

ok kids sunday school.. lets read the garden of eden story...

adam and eve were in the garden of eden, eden representing abundance and peaceful cohabitation. they only had one restriction, not to eat from the "fruits" of "tree of knowledge". but the "serpent" tricked eve into convincing adam go for it and everyone fall down go boom, or kaboom as the case may be.

now, adam and eve were humans and im sure they were referenced as to their will, theyre conscious selves. whats the serpent, hes supposedly a lowly creature or devil(spawn of satan) and had a pretty close relationship with adam and eve as he could "talk" to them. the story alludes to the idea that eve a women wanted more and she convinced adam to get to work and buy her a new lexus, and if anyone is married or has a significant other here, its not so far fetched. well the brains most primitive functions are governed by the reptilian brain as this type of brain is found in reptiles. as rules of form and function, one may assume that it is responsible for similar duties, namely survival. survival and sin are very similar characteristics in man. the irrational drive for eating mating fighting and self preservation, as these are not willful or controlled behavior, they are responsive. the word eat can be identified with appetite, appetite is feeling that knocks around in the hypothalamus i believe. the "tree" of "knowledge" i believe refers to the process of the assemblage of knowledge; acquisition of knowledge has the same characteristics and properties as the growing of a tree toward the light as long as its nourished from its roots. (it could also refer merely to the cerebellum as with its brain stem resembles a tree as well). as knowledge grows it branches outwards into many many knew ideas and the roots of that knowledge become more firmly fixed and the tree is stronger(conviction).

now eating the fruits of the tree of knowledge.
appeasing your appetites with technology. the inherent mode of appetite is to "irrationally" want more until urge ceases or discomfort sets in, but heres the problem, tolerance. as you increase stimulus, satisfaction will eventually wain, thus needing to increase stimulus to satisfy. you see the tree of knowledge, is one thing to humanity. its the promise of "more" than what one has now.
the problem with appetite is that it always wants more until it feels discomfort. the reason adam and eve were cast from the garden of abundance and peace is because they always yearned for more and slowly depleted their resources, cue inability to sustain happiness, elevated levels of need, fighting over limited resources, advanced methods of aggression/empowerment of few over the multitudes, depletetion of resrouces/ecological imbalance/disease, heavy drinking(i threw that one in)... when we allow our impulses to run away with our capabilities, this is what you have.
i believe what you seek is solution to our problems, the solution is in one place. the truth, think about what youre asking for. you have a problem with the way things are going, you have a want but you hope to throw technology at it to solve it. the problem with humanity with regards to any technology/capabilty is our attitudes. face it, we are gluttonous, envious, aggessive beings at times. the simplest and most effect way to find happiness is just be happy, to appreciate what you have now first, THEN gradually prgress.
isnt it rational, "true" that from past examples, making people do what they dont want to or are afraid of or are not ready for will cause conflict and resentment? furthermore, if you create a technology powerful enough to change the actual biology of the world, is there a good chance that something could go wrong? one ship carried a bunch of stowaway frogs to australia and the ecology was devastated, thats a frog. what chain reaction could occur when something as unnatural as electronic technology or biological engineering is introduced deep into the roots of our systems? to this day, the most beneficial medicine known to humanity is in the bark of a tree, salycilic acid or in the mold of an apple. and im not saying that we should close our lab doors, im saying that until we can find a way to behave normally and not overdo it, we shouldnt be playing jenga with our biochemistry or dna.
all you have to do is realize whats truly good for you and whats not, regardless of how yummy and good it feels. you see that sexy woman over there, dont look if you cant touch, youll just raise your blood pressure and slowly massage your frustration muscles. ill tell ya,ive heard crack is second to none in the way of sensual pleasure, just go that route, but the effects are obvious.
the only real way to finding lasting happiness is just be happy and appreciate those things that make your life that are real and enjoyable.

put the pop tart down and step away from the toaster...

waht youre asking for is peace of mind, its already there if you want it and its from that peace, that one can think rationally and responsibly. believe me, i used to think if only there was someway i could spike the watersupply with prozac we all be great.. yourthoughts

peace... ooohhhhmmmmm

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins