Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Do You Believe? Not What Do You Think?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Murat Bilginer on February 22, 2003 20:17:09 UTC

i personally believe the thoughts "what it ought to be" are the thoughts that are getting people into trouble. humanity must first distill from our individuality the principles of our survivability. a "who cares what color your car is, if youre dead?" type of sensibility. rather we just reapply that to "what color your coffin is" or possibly worse "what color the oozing puss from your putrifying cancerous sores is"
all real principle first begins with a responsible assessment of "the way it is", gracefully enough, the natural processes that takes place to evolve our world, inclusive of ourselves, has some pretty cushy buffer zones for our mistaken assumptions and negligent behavior. this leads me to believe that whatever permanent, unnatural damage (disintergral to our overall biological process) is not from negligence, nature's safeguard accounts for that as i dont believe birds and bees and such engage on an all too morally purposeful effort to "clean up the environment". as a matter of fact, natural waste is never wasted, it is a new stage for propogation oflife.
i was a superintedent of a residential building at one time and remember running the trash compactor and seeing all this plastic, styrene and a myriad of other "synthetic" polymers and thinking, "i hope that whatever new method/organism that nature dreams up to metabolize this neo-waste does not metabolize us" (that sounds pretty selfish i know, but hey). there are new organisms that eat rust and silicone thanks to mutation of simple life forms and idont even want to tell youabout the problems of cockroaches in that building, resilient little "buggers", its actually terribly beautiful how theyre so intune with theyre environment no matter waht curve ball is thrown at them; they evolve to actually turn poisons into food, i wonder how much longer itll be before we run out of poisons that dont inadvertantly inhibit human biological function or they turn us into a source of food.

the interesting thing ive noticed, from talking with people and try to derive a mutually beneficial set of circumstances is that to begin is simple. the most important things to each person are always shared, i say this on every level. the philosophies of the u.s. constitution is an admission to some of these principles (although the realization and application, historically and presently, of it are rather atrocious and, so obviously, the root cause of all of our ills). the mistake so often made is our insatiability and unwillingness to compromise our individual preferences, regardless of the impact on the whole, as well as self. this is where i believe scripturally based religion is most important. it is a non-apologetic (unlike me) admission that there is a side to ourselves that is, for all accounts and puposes, irresponsible and irrational.
our biological nature, which is inherently sinful (lust, greed, envy, agression,etc.) was a system of motivation that was kept limited to within the tolerances of the ecology by the inherent capacity of the organism itself, notice the limits of the human brain. we are conscious of the "creation process" we somehow know that it is singular in it mechanics, as all things are bound by "universal law". we are growing more and more aware of these mechanics and they are becoming subject to our "will" (the purposeful, yet responsible recognition of the effects of an action) as well as our impulse (the individually derived goal of satisfaction of one own desire). i believe that this is what was meant by "not 'eating' the 'fruits' of the tree of knowledge" as gluttony, agression, etc without limitation is a fate tetsuo so elegantly depicted in akira(i just saw this movie recently).
the more we know there is, the more we desire it, but let not let merely desire be our rationale for pursuit of a thing, let our understanding of the consequences relative to "our" mutual benefit be that motivation. all too often, thanks to the "virtues" of modern pseudo-capitalism (technologically underwritten impulsive survival of the fattest) the flea is outgrowing the dog and consuming the dogs life faster than it can replenish. but a flea without a dog is a doomed flea.
i say lets shift from surviving to living, theres always more to life so why impulsively and exhaustively race to the finish, where there wasnt ever one inherently. the only race we're finishing is the human one. (thats my noble self-important face) can anyone deny what scripture has to say, doesnt have some significant basis in the understanding of humanity's tendencies and capacity?

but all in all its still cosmic, not merely natural selection, and maybe we dont deserve to be here, thats why the buffer zone between survival and mass extinction is forever being eroded. every river is the product of the weakest soil, the path of weakest bonds and least existence.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins