Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
In Response To Your Question, Yanniru (et Al)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on February 10, 2003 01:12:42 UTC

I had written:
"***. I think he proposed ideas whose development is more like a gentle science of social and personal living than like the early dogmas of his cultural background. ***

Yanniru responded:
"Please tell me what you are talking about. Include chapter and verse."

Here is a first draft without chapter and verse. I will write a little more soon, but I think it is self-evident.

1) Jesus made statements that may be important in political science applications. When Jesus makes a statement in the Gospels,
pay attention to how he qualifies it. For example, he said,"Love your enemy..."
He did not specify whether "your enemy" may include a whole country facing off against another in fear of a first strike by the other side. He did not say you may not take military action against them. However, he did say,"Love your enemy." Therefore, if our policy makers truly have not tried applying the sophisticated methods of statecraft along with lovefor the folks who lead the countries we might consider enemies, then our policy makers are not following Jesus' command.

2) Jesus made statements that may be important in medical science applications. It is now clear that the person's life intent and mind are important in healing. This may have been observed in his time by more astute members of his religion but was somewhat obscured by the complex ritualism and legalism of mainstream Hebrew religion of his time.

3) Jesus made statements that may be important in management science applications. Forgiveness itself is just a higher way of thinking. He did not specify its limitations, but he did not tell us you had to forgive an unlimited magnitude of encroachment.
He gave examples ("give him your coat also")
and numbers ("70 times 7") which illustrate that forgiveness must be patient and enduring, but he never said it must be endless.

(I think it has occurred to you before also, has it not?)

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins