Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Consciousness

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by J Raymond Redbourne on November 22, 2002 04:56:33 UTC

Plants have been measured to have it, yet they have no brain we can identify.

I have carefully separated a wasp's head from its body and observed two very real awarenesses, where there had been one.

Near death experiences have been reported on a continuing basis in publications, and I have had perhaps 10 people report them to me personally, including my father. They are typically out-of-body experiences, wherein the person watches what is going on from a perspective different from where the body is. Sights are seen without eyes, and sound is heard without ears. These things cannot be discounted as merely the abberant firing of neurons or synapses or something. In fact the professionals have no proper explanation as to how these things are spontaneously generated as inventions of a disturbed mind, even tho' they usually declare it so.

Yet the "mind" or "soul" is not detected. It would seem to be of a different stuff than ordinary matter or energy.

I'm avoiding the temptation to get into sarcasm regarding Dark Matter, Quintessence-energy and alternate universes here.

However, if the professionals can posit such things, then it would seem there are no limiting rules to invention.

We have spoken freely about Direct Revelation. From where does it come? Where do nightmares, dreams, daydreams and hallucinations come from? Where does clairvoyance and precognition come from? How does one's "awareness" do so much as move a finger? What is the connection between the mind's intent, and the finger's motion?

The professionals have no explanations. Religionists and metaphysicists give us guesses. Evolutionists don't even comment on it. If I remember right, the Bible only speaks of the creation of Adam and Eve as bodies, no mention of ensoulment. If anything, Genesis speaks of no immortality.

So it would seem one is free to think up whatever pleases or displeases him;- assuming he even cares.

Proof of any theory is even less likely than in theoretical physics. Relativity has still not been enacted into law, in spite of "proofs".

I believe in reincarnation, only because it makes sense of a sort, out of an otherwise senseless life of disappointment and sometimes very intense aggravation and unfairness. We tend to smarten up just in time to die of old age.

But there's an excellent possibility that reincarnation is just Language Removed, and nothing but ego-salve for a devastated bio-electric brain, with delusions of life. And Christianity is just a loser's drug. And we're all just Pinochios now and forever with no hope for an immortal soul, with the promise of everlasting joy in the New Jerusalem, and a Thousand Golden Years, with God supplying the booze and entertainment.

That's the end of the bedtime story. Sleep well, my children.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins