Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Consciousness; Is It Continuous Or Constantly Renewing?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Phillip Martin on November 20, 2002 23:31:11 UTC

(I may have asked a similar question in the past.)

This is one question of a few that I will probably post as different topics to keep the questions from becoming one as they so often do on forums.

I realize that I have a lot of unfinished business on this forum in the form of unanswered questions. I will look through the archive and find questions I never got around to answering. However, I would appreciate it if anyone has a question I have yet to answer would repost the question... or any additional questions having been asked or thought of during my absence. Thank you.

Is consciousness constantly renewed? By that, I am asking if we are constantly ‘dying‘, and being ‘awakened’ in a cycle that repeats itself trillions (trillions = a high number) of times per second. Each ‘awakening’ is a 'spark' in either the processing or transmission of information. Each 'death' is the time in between the 'sparks'. We see that as time passing because of the information stored in our minds. In a sense, this means each time one of the 'sparks' happens, time is starting over for our consciousness. This also means that life as we know it does not exist. Our protection of our own 'life', and ’life’ as a whole, is in vain.

That thought has crossed my mind many times, each time I go a little farther into the idea, but each time I have refuted the idea, although I can never remember why. I am curious of what everyone thinks of this idea. Mainly because I have never heard any idea like it before. Hopefully someone will relate to it like the idea about God ‘not existing, but still existing’ that I posted a while ago.

Warm Regards,
Phillip Martin

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins