Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Okay...something Something

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by M.W.Pearson on November 18, 2002 20:01:26 UTC

Hi Ray You wrote "So by our own attitudes and actions, we learn what is wrong and what is right, rather than cheating by picking the Forbidden Fruit, which is a bit like looking into the back of the book for the answers, instead of figuring them out for ourselves. If we were merely programed with such knowledge, we would be little more than robots. Cheaters have nothing to contribute."

Will you agree the foregoing paragraph is inadequate justification for denying anyone the rights and privileges in our U.S. Constitution (are you in Canada? In that case, the Canadian Constitution?)

Ray wrote:
"As Mohammed said, he had great respect for Jesus, but he had no respect for "those who claim Jesus, but fail to follow Him". (Sorry for the differential capitalizations. I don't know the Muslim practice there.)"

1) The opinion of someone who lived before modern science will impress me more if it is not a presumption to sit in judgement of me. We have considered the religions to be commentary, not law. If Mohammed respects or does not respect, does he have any rights or privileges in our country. a) he is a departed mortal... b) some of his statements run counter to the establishment of individual rights under our Constitution and Amendments.

2) What does it mean to "claim Jesus?" May one have an opinion that Jesus is God on Earth but still fail, by Mohammed's appraisal, to "follow Him?" May one have an opinion that Jesus was a great Teacher of permanent value and yet, by someone's appraisal, fail to "follow Him?"

One place where we see Jesus' teaching is preserved is in evangelical Christians. I do not
know whether His message would reach anyone without them. In some ways I am annoyed with their approach. But as long as anyone "fails" to see the merit in his teaching, we must support evangelism. The merit is there. It is a basic departure from other religion and from our natural past...and is ambiguous enough to allow freedom to flourish. imho

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins