Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: What Is A Christian Anyway?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Andy on March 21, 2000 15:46:32 UTC

< What is a Christian anyway? >

Good question! I`d wager most people today don`t know - even most who claim to be Christians.

< Jesus certainly narrowed it way down when he described one. He said that he that loves me will keep my commandments, and if you love me you will love the brethren. By this, He said, will the world know that you are mine, that you love one another. >

All that`s true, of course, but...those things don`t answer the question, What MAKES someone a Christian? Those things are EVIDENCE that one has been made a Christian, but what made him a Christian in the first place?

< I guess that what Jesus says a Christian is...one that`s attached himself to Him. >

Yes, that`s right! Another way of putting it is that we are (if we`ve believed in him) "in union with Christ." Jesus is our representative: he died in our place on the cross, for our sins. He rose from the dead, thus bringing us new life. When he returns to reign one day, we will reign with him. Read through the letters of Paul and see how often he uses phrases like "in Christ," "with Christ," and "through Christ."

-Andy

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins