Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Actually...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Nicholas on November 1, 2002 21:25:26 UTC

The point of my post was to say that it shouldn't matter what the Native Americans did to another group of people, we are responsibile for our actions either way. Thus, my opinion was in no way based on whispers. As for my opinions about human nature, I assure you that those are firmly based on many, many other examples of both day-to-day experiences and history.

What you say about our comfort being based on technology is certainly true, but then what I said was true as well. The two are not mutually exclusive. There is no way we could have achieved dominance in the world if we hadn't achieved dominance on North America. The Native Americans believed that land should not be owned. Without our European ideas of ownership, our current economic prosperity would be impossible. Maybe we didn't have to kill them, but, other than slavery (which would have been just as bad), I don't see how else we could have kept them down.

I don't think we can compare different periods in history (e.g. Ancient Rome and Colonial America) and try to make some sort of judgement based on that. Ethics are very much a product of both the times and the place. Those who claim that their ethics are somehow invariant in time and space will eventually find their voices lost in the flow of society.

As for all the stuff about inaccurate reporting, I of course agree with you. It seems that journalists are less and less concerned with the truth with every passing day. When I see Time and Newsweek articles with words like "Sinister" and "Evil" in the title, I know that objective journalism has completely gone to hell. Free press basically means we have the freedom to propagandize ourselves, and I think we do it more effectively than any dictator could (I also apologize for ending on a low note).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins