Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sorry, Aurino -- Those Ideas Are NOT ...but These Are

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mike Pearson on November 1, 2002 08:00:51 UTC

Harv's usual response to my honest and accurate appraisal of his ideas is not nice.
So I hope he will just not reply until he fully groks the following:

At http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/24140.shtml
anonymous guy wrote:
"Is it possible that a small percentage of humans have a need for random origins in order to experience a kind of freedom that comes from an atheist or agnostic belief system? Any ideas?"

Mike's response:
Random is a statistical term.
It is more random to pose a God with unknown
quantitative attributes and methods than to seek a mechanical pathway for matter, as do real scientists, whether atheists or theists.
Your complaint is wet noodles.

At http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/24149.shtml, Harv wrote:
"Healthy avenues such as sports, education, hobbies, etc are very limited in meeting this need for meaning. If the cup is not properly filled using those activities, people are apt to move to more extreme measurements to meet that need. The more they lack meaning, the more intense the desire to meet those needs."

Mike's response:
There are some lessons in spiritual life which
can be either atheist or theist, which answer that.
Meaning is not supplied by "meeting needs."
Desires are not satisfied by being met; they are temporarily gratified and then come back for more.
If you realize that meaning is supplied as well by being quiet and paying attention to mystery or wonder...
Then when you fulfill your desires, you will at least not be deceived in thinking that was the "meaning of life" you just experienced.

Then you can separate "thinking" from "desires"
and, as Louis Pasteur said, YOU NEED TO DO THAT.

My pixils are not warmer than the screen but
what I just wrote is TRUE.

Mike Pearson

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins