Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Laughter Is The Best Philosophy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on October 31, 2002 16:53:53 UTC

Many people either aren't sophisticated enough to understand or frank enough to admit it.

A long time ago I told my dad, who dropped out of school in fourth grade to help improve his family's budget, about the size of the universe and our supposed small place in it, and all he could do was laugh. "How can they know those things?", he asked me. I said, "trust me dad, they do"

Today I realize all of our knowledge of cosmology is built on extremely shaky foundations, which means more probably than not it is just wrong. So if my dad asks me once again "how they know those things", I would answer instead, "well, most of the time they make it up"

It's not that many people aren't sophisticated enough to understand, in fact the problem is that many people are too sophisticated to understand that they know, in fact, very little. "Unsophisticated" people never have that problem, they are fully aware of their own limitations.

And that's what's really funny!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins