Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Crazy Science, Crazy Metaphysics

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on October 31, 2002 15:56:04 UTC

That promotion only encourages fundamentalists and the crazy 'science' that they represent.

Hi Harv,

Funny that you ended your post with that line, as it pretty well sums up the only issue on which we seem to disagree. In my opinion science, crazy or otherwise, is to a great extent a kind of secularist religion, and I say that because of the confusion people make between pragmatic success and metaphysical truth. Bear in mind, even fundamentalists are confused about that (which is kind of ironic); fundamentalists need to prove evolution wrong because they also believe the metaphysical claims associated with biological science are true if the science is true.

A long time ago, when we started fighting, I thought the problem was science itself. Today I happen to think differently, in my opinion the whole problem is that science claims to have divorced philosophy while living under the same roof. What you said the other day about changing science's name back to natural philosophy blew me away - it is, as far as I can see, the best solution to the problems you are discussing here.

Now, just how should we go about it? Start a campaign?

Cheers,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins