Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Pessimism

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on October 26, 2002 16:26:32 UTC

What you call pessimism I see more as a rearranging of priorities. All (or at least, well-balanced) humans have a need to extract happiness, satisfaction, and balance from their life. What varies is the source. Theists in general throw their hope in with promise of a life without the miseries of this one, atheists can't bring themselves to mask their doubts under a label of "faith" and instead draw all the happiness out of this existence as possible. And, Harv, there is nothing artificial about it. I am, for the most part, a *very* happy person. It's not desperate happiness or a self told lie, it's genuine. Sure, there are always some pieces missing here and there, but that's true of all people. Your assertation that atheists live a life devoid of meaning is misled. I construct my own meaning, and in my opinion I'm the better for it. Certainly, to each his own, but atheism is only dismal from the outside.

In any case, I stand by my previous statement that a view's prettiness shouldn't be cause enough to desperately grab for it (and I consider those who do to be subconscious cynics.) There is something infinitely liberating in freeing oneself from belief and devoting spiritual thoughts to the realm of speculation instead.

I probably won't get to reply to the rest of your posts until tomorrow evening...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins