Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hey, Kewl. The Colors R Pretty

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on March 7, 2000 22:16:46 UTC

The factor that makes us so dominant has to be our adaptability. Humans are strangly unspecialized. Our senses are dull compared to other species, and our bodies puny in comparison. Arguably herein lies our greatests strength. We fashion weapons and tools as an extention of our already mobile hands so we can live in various environments. We are omnivores, so we can tolerate a wide range of diet. In the example of the porcupine, like many species, it relies on a single highly specialized structural adaptation. In the event that some new predator came along with the ability to digest sharp spines, the porcupine would be screwed. The most successful species have been the opportunists that did not rely on structral adaptations but on their brains (okay, i guess brains are also structural). So, i will assert that the secret to our dominance is in our non specialization, and our brains. Nothing really groundbreaking i just needed to let out a bunch of pent up thoughts i haven`t been able to express since i haven`t posted in a while (yaaaaay!!). Also the social component is also a factor. We collaborate and coordinate our efforts in society, so that in our past, our ancestors needed all they help they could get. Everyone in the tribe would contribute, because as a unit they were stronger as a whole. That`s why i think love (which facilitates this kind of cooperation) is an evolutionary construct. You can`t deny that love is advantages to passing on one`s genes. :o)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins