Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Don't Think Occam's Razor Applies Here

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 23, 2002 13:51:56 UTC

Hi Daniel,

***Should we believe that hordes of boogey men exist? Dark matter equals boogey men. Occam's razor applies here.***

Let me bounce this off of you and get your reaction. Occam's razor applies in situations where we are multiplying entities more than it is required based on the known inferences to the best explanation (IBE). That being the case, we have some justification based on the success of Einstein's gravitational theory to infer undetectable matter. Particle physics has already shown that some massive particles do not strongly interact with photons. This matter is difficult to detect by electromagnetic detectors (e.g., radiotelescopes and telescopes), so it isn't unreasonable to suggest that 90% of the matter in the universe has a weak interaction with the photon.

Carrying that further, it seems to me that string theories, a collection of our more promising developments in recent physics, has been alluding to the existence of massive supersymmetric particles. It may prove to be false, but I don't think this is contrary to Occam's razor to rule out such theories and hypotheses just on the basis that these are 'boogeyman' hypotheses. If that were the case, Dirac's prediction of the positron (anti-matter) should have been seen in the same way. For that matter, much of the history of particle physics would be included in that category since many of the particles were predicted prior to their discovery (e.g., W, Z, quark, etc).

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins