Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Mine Was Like That, Until...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phillip Martin on October 22, 2002 23:31:40 UTC

... my hard drive crashed! I have taken a few computer courses since then...

Once I got this hard drive, I started clearing my history, temporary internet files, etc. regularly. My internet connection doesn't have any faults, until one of my internet-related folders (most often my Temp Int Files) fills its allotted disc space. You may wish to make more disc space available to those folders. Defragment your hard drive regularly. Run "Disc Cleanup" regularly. Run "Scandisc" regularly. Do this and you probably not have any more problems.

Right-click on "My Computer," click "properties," then click the performance tab. How much system resources do you have? You can close that window now.

Click on "Start," "run," then type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) into the dialog box. Once the window comes up, click the startup tab.

Type a list of those program names, and locations, but only the ones that have a check-mark in their respective boxes. You can either post them here, or, if you prefer, you can send them to my email address-

With that information, I can speed-up your computer significantly... that is, of course, assuming that noone else has already done it to your computer.

This also fixes problems with resource management (if you do not know what that is, ignore this sentence).

All of the above is only for windows, I have no clue about any other OS.

Phillip Martin

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins