Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Ok.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Sam Patterson on October 22, 2002 05:00:15 UTC

"Also, on the evolution front: DEFINE THIS FOR ME NOW. WHAT IS A KIND? I'VE ASKED YOU SEVERAL TIMES AND YOU HAVE YET TO RESPOND."

I'll go more in-depth about this if you like, but I believe the 'kind' means the the species can still interbreed, even if the offspring is sterile. Like mules.

From your other post:

"I am persuaded, you will permit me to observe that the path of true piety is so plain as to require but little political direction. To this consideration we ought to ascribe [credit] the absence of any regulation [law], respecting religion, from the Magna-Charta [Constitution] of our country"

This does not, in any way, show George was a theist. He is simply saying (wisely) that a national religion should not established. He does not say his personal beliefs. However, my quote does:

"Almighty God, we make our earnest prayer that Thou wilt keep the United States in Thy Holy protection: that Thou wilt incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government and entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another and for their fellow citizens of the United States at large. And finally, that Thou wilt most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, without a humble imitation of whose example in these things we can never hope to be a happy nation. Grant our supplication, we beseech Thee, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
**George Washington**"

I don't see anything in John Adams quotes to make me think he was not a christian.

Thomas Jefferson was not a Christian. No arguments there.

Thomas Paine was not a Christian. No arguments there.

Benjamin Franklin was a Christian. He may not have believed in the church, but he was a Christian.

James Madison does not say anything about his personal belief. He is saying that religion and government should not mix.

Lincoln is still a subject of debate. He was most certainly religious, but rarely mentioned Jesus. We may never know.

You have shown me 2 founding fathers who were not Christians (Lincoln was not a founding father).
No matter what you consider 'founding fathers', that is a very low percent. I said 97%. I stand by that.

Sam, KC2GWX

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins