Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well When You Put It That Way.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aaron Viviano on October 22, 2002 00:57:17 UTC

"Paul said that a woman is to a man as a man is to god. Women were very prominent in the ministry of Jesus, being the only ones at the cross and the first to meet him afterwards. I suspect that the writings of the early Christians downgrade the role of women."

I assume you are refering to this verse from 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

"Women should be silent during the church meetings. It is not proper for them to speak. They should be submissive, just as the law says. If they have any questions to ask, let them ask their husbands at home, for it is improper for women to speak in church meetings."

The question is this does this refer to all speaking or gossip and other such trivel stuff? Think about a situtation in which a wife is constantly talking about the latest gossip or asking the husband certain things not related to the activities at hand.

I think this is why he wrote for them to be silent in church. I also would like to know the exact hebrew words for "church meetings", I think that would sheed a great deal of light onto what he was saying.

"Paul said that the rulers were god appointed and that their subjects must obey them. That is hardly what Jesus promoted. He promoted the meek."

Can you give us the verses? I can't find anything by Paul that says rulers are God appointed. Thank You.

"BTW the New testament letters and books were not written by Apostles. At the time of the Apostles, Paul was still Saul and fighting the church. And the later writers called Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were not the original Apostles. I consider them to be imposters."

Evidence?

"Harv: Jesus moved from the 'Messiah' to the 'Savior' under Pauline theology.

Me: Agreed. He changed the teaching of Jesus. "

Not really to the Jews the Messiah was the savior of there people from the Roman Empire in the time of Jesus. They got the savior part right, just saved from their sins not the Roman Empire. Also I don't see him changing any teachings of Jesus. Can you give me an example where Jesus says one thing and Paul another?

"It is doubtful that Christianity would have survived without Paul."

Nah. Christianity would have spread, but it's efforts would have gone more into Africa and Asia then Europe.

"I suspect that the writings of the early Christians downgrade the role of women."

Are you kidding? Downgraded? Christanity was the first religion to truly see women as equals with men in the sense of rights. Most women in those days were treated little better than slaves by Gentiles and some Jews. Earlier christain writings showed great respect for women, it is only after Catholicism took over that women's rights began to decline again and it wasn't until the reformation that they began to rise back up again.

Any thoughts or counter evidence I'll be waiting.

*sigh* Homework must get done.

-Aaron

-Aaron

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins