Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Pounding The Second Half Into Shape

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on October 18, 2002 02:57:55 UTC

Daniel wrote:
"As for reality, my belief is that perception is the only certain reality."

Up to there, I agree with much of your essay and find its thoughtfulness encouraging.
That sentence needs more work. Most of the big words serve as widely varying values in the sentence-equation, so I cannot make any sense of it.

Daniel wrote:
"Only seldom (such as now) do I stop to wonder whether external physical reality exists."

Now that you are wondering, have you raised any
unresolved questions on the topic that are scientifically coherent and which you do not resolve by choosing a belief?

Daniel wrote:
"I choose to believe in the physical reality, and in ethics and morality, because existence without those things would be depressing and devoid of purpose."

Ethics is an excellent word, for it implies standards which conform to the idea of revision with improved understanding.
Morality is that word we have so much confusion with. It appears bound up with "a map that can never be modified" which you attributed to fundamentalists.
Is morality the same as ethics?
OR, is it one of those things about which you say,"I can't describe it, but I know when I see it."
If the latter, do you think there is an unexplored region of the mind with chores yet to be done (ie. time to explore it)? Morality is a mush word to me. If something is important enough to prohibit or require, it is important enough to put in a code of ethics.

That idea about God lying or not lying also seems a little weird. By definition, what kind of a universe or God _ would lie to us? It would be
one which saw us as an adversary or unworthy of trust...OR, one with so little confidence it was waiting for a chance to confide but was still too timid. That means it's being intimidated -- probably by spammers? :
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins