Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Proof Of The Pudding: Is It In The Eating Or Not?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Aurino Souza on October 17, 2002 14:02:49 UTC

In an attempt to change the main (only?) subject on this forum to something less dumb, I'd like to ask you guys something. Someone recently told me this:

"What can I be sure of? Why, that reality can be seen from a perspective such that physics must be true, such that chemistry is true, such that biology is true, such that medicine is true. And maybe some of the other fields could also be seen as true.

What I think others cannot accept is that all of this "proves" absolutely nothing (in fact nothing they know proves anything)"

What I found interesting about that is, why would anyone need proofs for everything? For instance, if we know that physics is true, isn't experimental evidence all that is required as far as proof goes? Sure, our theories may be proved incomplete in the future, but the outcome of every single experiment can never, ever be questioned. Or can it?

If I drop a stone and it falls to the ground, I may explain it as the result of a force called gravity. Later on I may choose to explain it as the effect of a curvature in spacetime. Other explanations might be thought of in the future, but no matter how you choose to explain it you can't possibly deny the fact that the stone fell to the ground. Doing so is, in my opinion, the shortest route to a mental institution, unless you're doing it just for fun in which case anything you may come up with is of absolutely no relevance.

So do you believe that everything has to be proved, or do you find the notion ridiculous?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins