Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Read Up On The History Of The Soul

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on October 17, 2002 12:46:38 UTC

The soul is a Greek concept, invented by the Greek philosophers. It was not a part of Jewish thinking until Greek thought came to dominate all of the mideast, at and after the time of Alexander.

It was not even a concept of eastern religion until Alexanders time. For example, Buddhism, which invented the concept of reincarnation, did not have a soul concept, even though what was reborn lifetime after lifetime was left unspecified.

The concept of the soul and what it is has developed further since the time of Alexander.

The only link I could find is the following:
http://www.holysmoke.org/fem/fem0439.htm
which talks about 'ensoulment' at forty days after conception. This was apparently Christian thinking before the 17th century.

The implication is of course that the soul was not created at conception. But instead came into the body from someplace else.

Both the New and Old Testament speaks of Ressurrection of the Body as the afterlife process of importance. No reference to a soul that I can remember.

But perhaps those more familiar with the bible than I can elaborate on the evidence for the soul in the bible and at what time the soul is created.

Today my understanding is that- the many religions that have adopted the concept of the soul from the early Greeks- that most of them consider the soul to be a part of god. This is certainly true of modern eastern religions. But not true of modern christianity of both the born again and the Catholic varieties. However, the above link indicates that Catholic thinking on the soul has been changing over time.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins